Thursday, December 21, 2006

King Lear Casting Gossip


Moxie cannot WAIT for The Public's production of King Lear! Kevin Kline will play the aging monarch. Kline is at the top of a short list of older actors Moxie has a big fat crush on, ever since seeing the silly but delightful French Kiss (a certain bug-eyed actor featured in Earth Girls are Easy is also on the list). There's no doubt that he'll be incredible, and compared with some of the stage roles he's played in the past few years, which have been only so-so roles for him, Lear seems like a perfect fit.

What Moxie is even more excited about, though, is the casting rumors she's heard circulating. Logan Marshall Green will play Edmund ("Now Gods, stand up for Bastards!") and Michael Cerveris will play Kent! This is so perfect, I could just purr.

Now, who will play the women? For Cordelia, Moxie would love to see The Public cast someone with some backbone and spunk. The last thing I feel like watching is another pretty Juliet type with a lovely speaking voice and nothing interesting or edgy going on. Why not Alison Pill? Bryce Dallas Howard would also be fierce, as would Amy Ryan.


Regan and Goneril... I always think of them as the real politicians of the group, old-timey Condoleeza Rice and Hillary Clintons, if you will. If there were a god in heaven, they'd cast Tina Benko, delicious viper that she is. Being an agnostic, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

7 comments:

Jaime said...

I saw the workshop at the Public, and Kevin Kline is amaaazing. Though the poufy white hair and beard make him a little harder, for me, to have a crush on. But the man does superhuman things with Shakespeare.

Cameron Kelsall said...

I doubt Michael Cerveris would be in this, since it would likely conflict with LoveMusik. Also, Alison Pill is doing Blackbird, so while she would be wonderful, it's not going to happen. I heard James Urbaniak has been cast as The Fool.

Anonymous said...

I heard James Urbaniak has been cast as The Fool.

News to me.

Moxie said...

Damn, James, I already got excited!

parabasis said...

I know who's playing the fool!

Anonymous said...

Well, who is it, dude?

Moxie said...

Well, if anybody's still reading this comment thread, here's the answer to all your casting riddles:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104657.html

Phillip Goodwin will play the fool. Cerveris is Kent, Larry Bryggman is Glouster, Kristin Bush is Cordelia... full cast list on playbill.