Thursday, March 29, 2007

Kenny Leon dumps Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, plus casting ideas

Rumor has it that Kenny Leon has quit as director of the upcoming all-black production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The talented Leon, who directed A Raisin in the Sun, will be replaced by Debbie Allen, whose credits include choreographing legendary musical flop Carrie, several Academy Awards broadcasts, and... well... has she directed for stage? All That Chat tells us she directed "an abortion called Pearl out in Los Angeles", in which she also starred. She directed a guilty pleasure of mine, the 90s sitcom "A Different World". I just loved Whitley on that show. I don't care what anyone says, Jasmine Guy is a star.

From the time it was announced, this project has always smelled fishy to me. I'm betting it's never going to happen, but if it indeed is produced, I hereby begin the campaign for Jasmine Guy as Maggie the Cat. I can see it now....

It seems almost fated to happen... Debbie Allen choreographed Carrie, the musical - Jasmine Guy played Ruby Moore in Carrie, the tv movie. Debbie Allen directed episodes of That's So Raven - Jasmine Guy guest starred! Fingers crossed, people.

No comments: