Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wig Out!


I didn't loooove Wig Out!, but I feel like I should have. Chalk it up to a bad night. The wind was howling, the theater was freezing cold, and most New Yorkers were at home watching the Palin/Biden debate, not out at the theater. Those few that were at the Vineyard that night didn't seem to know what they were in for, and when the scantily clad black drag queens sauntered down the on-stage catwalk, the reaction was more "huh?" than "you go girl!" So while I might not have had a fire lit under me as much as I should have by this play, I can still testify that Wig Out! is funny, smart, and completely outrageous, with a lot of style and a lot of attitude. It's smart, complex performances range from total camp pastiche to the real depths of ugly, honest human emotion. Go with your friends and have a few drinks beforehand. It's not often that a play is so outrageously funny and also intellectually challenging.

Wig Out! is playing at The Vineyard through November 16th.

No comments: