Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Crazy Mary in previews


Crazy Mary was a bit of a mess when I saw it on Saturday night. After just a week of previews, a review isn't really appropriate - especially since I like A.R. Gurney and Jim Simpson so much, and really want this show to be good. So instead of a review, here are a few ponderings on how I hope it improves over the course of previews.

I hope that Sigourney Weaver finds the center of her character, and stops waffling around in search of specific choices. I'm a big fan of hers, and believe she can do much better than what I saw.

I hope that Gurney is able to make some revisions that indicate an understanding of the humanity in Michael Esper's character. Give us some real reasons why he does the stuff he does, or better yet, cut some of the most nutzo stuff. Despite talented Esper's best efforts, right now he seems crazier than Crazy Mary.

I also hope Gurney makes some cuts to the script, which dilutes its genuine funnyness and sensitivity with cliche and sitcom-style jokes.

I hope they're able to find some wigs for Kristine Nielsen that don't look like they're cutting a horizontal line across her forehead. Aside from the unfortunate forehead bisection, Nielsen's performance is pretty darn magical and very worth seeing.

Looking forward to revisiting Crazy Mary after opening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

really? you like jim simpson? really?!?! i think he's just awful in every way.

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.