Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Holiday Cheery Time, Etc.


My my my. It was like NaBloPoMo ended and everything else in my life suddenly demanded ALL of my attention. Here's the basic layout of my life for the past couple weeks. Work: insanely busy. Personal life: total mess (that's me up there). Family: still no presents bought yet. Blog: neglected. Help! But now I'm home, still wearing pj's at 4:15pm, and happy to be back in Moxie mode after a pretty anemic month on the blog. Thanks to the two readers from Chattanooga and Kalamazoo who are still reading (really, thanks guys).

Here are a few updates on what's been going on while I've been crazy:

I was wrong about something! Zoe Kazan is still in Come Back, Little Sheba. I guess the dates for the Justice League movie must have gotten pushed, allowing her to participate in both. Nobody's seen a script for the movie, so it's quite possible that one hasn't even been written yet, and they'll have to wait for the WGA strike to end for production to move forward. If anybody has actually seen a script (or single piece of dialogue) from the film, let me know.

I still haven't seen August: Osage County, so all you snobs can just click over to the REAL theater blogs right now. I did catch I Am Legend though! And it fucking rocked. Well the first 3/4 of the movie did, and then it goes to crap. Don't get your hopes too high as far as plot and themes go, but it is absolutely worth seeing for two things: Will Smith's performance (I don't care how beloved he is, he is still a hugely underrated actor, oscar nom and all. Underrated.), and the incredible art direction and composition. OH! And the dog. My god I love that dog. Somebody get me a german shepard for christmas, k?

Also caught Enchanted, which isn't lying with that title; it is enchanting! It will make you swoon, sing, smile, and believe in love again! Amy Adams is a delight. For the first time in over a decade, disney has created a film that has all the magic of a great fairy tale, and has also - here's the real achievement - managed to update the old misogynistic ways of those tales, and spin a yarn that incorporates some of the imperfect complexities of true love. Great flick to take your family to over the holidays, and loads of fun appearances from the bway people (many of whom have recorded great disney songs in the past): Judy Kuhn, Tonya Pinkins, Jodi Benson (!!), and more. My only qualm: Idina Menzel. She is a hugely talented, beautiful actress who just doesn't look good in close-up. It's not her fault, and I truly wish it wasn't the case, but she just should stick to stage, or make really sure that makeup softens her up next time she does film, because she looks SO severe in this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait till you see sweeney...Underwelming