Thursday, January 24, 2008

So excited for Passing Strange


Passing Strange, which I saw twice at the Public, is in rehearsals for their Broadway run at the Belasco. Like Spring Awakening did last season, this "musical" has the potential to take what was cool and intriguing Off-Broadway and pump it up to explosiveness in a big Broadway house. I am so pumped about this show, and my excitement grows exponentially with everything that creator/star Stew has to say about it:

"When I read about Shakespeare with people standing up and yelling at the stage, that reminds me more of a rock club than what I see in some of these stiff air-conditioned theatres. And maybe we are in some way connecting back to an energy that theatre must have had. Theatre must have been way more rock-n-roll at some point.

"Maybe we're not bringing in a rock energy — maybe we're bringing back theatre energy. We're trying to bring that spontaneity we thrive off in the rock-n-roll world and hope that people get that and say, 'Oh yeah, that was like this tonight, and it's not gonna be like this tomorrow.' I hope they can feel that."
You can listen to songs from the show on their myspace page.

No comments: