Gothamist says it so Moxie doesn't have to: "Justin Timberlake is a total cheeseball"

Above: Justin's HBO event, or a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind?
The goofy dance moves, the Mickey Mouse facial expressions, the instrument-playing pantomime and, worst of all, the completely mediocre filler tracks he labored through between hits. Yes, he has 3 unbelievable jams (Cry Me a River, My Love and Dick in a Box...to be exact), but beneath this nu-sexy exterior is the same mass-marketed boy band kid from Orlando. And live, seeing it close up in high def, it’s clearer than ever. While we admit to being as caught up in the hype as anyone else, it all came into place while watching this special. Dude's still just an act. And a corny one, at that.
Hey, Gothamist, I'm in your camp! I love those jams, and Seniorita too, but the uber-hyped HBO concert was ridiculous, oversexed to the point of unsexyness, and just kinda boring. Everybody makes such a fuss about J-Tims being all legit as a musician now. "Omigod! He can play guitar, and piano, and everything so great! He's the best musician ever!" Playing a key-tar while two real musicians play over you doesn't make you Beethoven, or even Ben Folds. All the "real musician" stuff is just as much a part of the marketing package as his cute suits. Not that he doesn't wear them well. I'd hit that. But all this fuss about him being the second coming feels a little forced. And what was that song about drug addiction? Yikes.
And also - what were those dancers wearing? They looked straight out of John Doyle's newly imagined, dark, sexed-up version of Bye Bye Birdie.
On the other hand, everything he does on SNL is gold. Pure gold. Maybe that's the key: Justin should incorporate his hilarious, gooftastic side into his music performances. Take a risk, Justin!

2 comments:
There's a newly imagined, dark, sexed-up version of Bye Bye Birdie -- and nobody told me?
Will it be close to my conception of Hugo, Kim and Conrad all playing duelling guitars, at the climax? Or Conrad being played by Joan Jett? Bastards ripped me off.
Moxie, Can't wait to see that Doyle show. Will Chita recreate her role?
As far as the Justin show, I skipped it, but when I saw the photo you provided, it reminded me of the spaceship looking device I saw pretending to be a chandelier during Phantom - The Las Vegas Spectacular, which ranks as some of the worst money I've spent on a show this year.
Post a Comment