Wednesday, February 21, 2007

More Bad Ideas: ABC to create spinoff of Grey's Anatomy


Cynopsis, the tv business daily email, is reporting today that ABC is considering creating a spin off show about Kate Walsh's character.

Grey's Anatomy creators are looking to spin off one of the show's characters into a second drama project, according to The Wall Street Journal. Heading out on her own would be Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd, who is played by Kate Walsh. An upcoming two hour episode will serve as the pilot of the new series, which will be written by show creator Shonda Rhimes.
What a crappy idea! Shonda Rhimes needs to spend more time focusing on bringing the humor and quirkyness back to Grey's Anatomy, not creating more nighttime soapy fluff. I do love Addison as a character, but I hardly want to watch a whole show about her. It also doesn't help that Kate Walsh comes off as a dithering idiot in every television interview I've ever seen. I'm sure she's a smart woman, she certainly plays Addison as one, but she really needs to get a coach before she does the next round of press.

Update: Cynopsis reports today that Taye Diggs will also be in the cast. So now we KNOW it'll be cancelled.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh God. That's completely moronic. I agree with you - the last few episodes have been spinning off into this bizarro-world ER thing of major disasters and illogical characters. Blech. I mean, I love Addison - maybe because she's the only sensible character left - but why can't she just stay on the show?

Nicole said...

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!! (except for Phantom 2)

I love the show and love Addison, but there is no need to do a spinoff! At least not until the show has run for 7-8 seasons, and all the other characters retire or move to the suburbs, and she's the only one left to fight the fight to save lives, so she moves to LA to jumpstart her TV/Film career and it's called "Joey".

Anonymous said...

The day that Kate Walsh did her first public interview was the day that her character died for me. She seriously needs a coach for interviews as suggested. I am all for 'suspending disbelief,' but the stark contrast of ditz to doctor is too much for me.