Hot new poster artwork for Spring Awakening
Spring Awakening has a bunch of new posters up post-Tonys, and I'm so happy to see that they're finally getting the artwork and marketing right. Here's the new billboard that went up yesterday:
Okay, it looks a little bit like it belongs in front of the Nederlander, but it's pretty cool, eh? Especially in comparison with the image we've all seen a million times of the stocking-clad legs. That image feels like it's trying to be sexy, it's saying that the show is racy, where this new billboard is bold and confident and actually makes the cast look as cool, hip, and interesting as they are.
I can't find a picture of it, but I also really love the new posters around town with the black and white photo of Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff. Again, instead of saying "this show contains sexuality, and teens!" the artwork is beautiful and intriguing - like the show. If anyone can find the image somewhere on the net, leave the link in the comments, s'il vous plait!
Update: Here's the other poster I like - thanks, Jeff!! There's also one of just Lea & Jon Groff that's pretty sizzlin', too.

6 comments:
Haha, I was thinking that it looks suspiciously like Rent just before I read your Nederlander comment. :)
But yes, it does capture the essence of the show much better than the old poster.
I love it. It's totally cool. I'm all about fusing the fictional world (the show) and reality (recognizable street fashion, the interior of a warehouse, and graffiti). And of course, I’m all about devoted fans. But its executions like this that make me nervous for the actors… When they got mobbed by fans, all those fans are thinking, “but the billboard ad! It made you seem approachable! You’re just like me! We’re the same!” The show is amazing and obviously crushes any barriers that make the audience feel like they are simply watching a musical—I mean, there are audience members on stage! But for some reason, I wish that the actors in the billboard ad were wearing the show’s costumes. They could still have the same poses and it would still be so hip and fun—even high fashion, like a Vogue or Vanity Fair spread. Plus, it’s a photograph of poses out of the show’s context, which still gives the ad its dirty cool feeling. I think the actors' autographs work with the street clothes and can be a reason for fans to go nutso. But they definitely could have done one more shot of the cast in a similar pose yet in full Susan Hilferty gear that reminds the public that it is a Broadway show, and that the actors are separate from the characters. Who knows, I guess getting mobbed by fans is just an occupational hazard…we would know, wouldn’t we MM?
got it, here's the link:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/punbandhu/-1.jpg
Ah, I eat my previous words:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/punbandhu/-2.jpg
I agree, Jeff. It's a very effective billboard, but does make them seem SO approachable that it's a little nerve-wracking. Doesn't hurt to have our particular perspective. That's why I like the second ad better - thanks for the link, btw! I like how they're in the costumes, but not in character, contrasted with the hot hot hot reclining Lea+Jon pose. I think it speaks to the show much more strongly than any artwork I've seen in the show's campaign.
hi all ... just a quick & simply note for anyone that might be interested that we still have some original Spring Awakening Posters ( 3 different versions ) left in stock ( all versions are from the original Spring cast and are the large 3' wide x 4' high original posters ) , so please let us know if you have an interest. thanks to all here who have purchased from us in the past , we truly appreciated you having shopped with us. your enthusiasm and friendly emails have made us feel that all the hard work we put into pursuing and finding these and other original Broadway posters is not in vain , and that it does not go unnoticed by you , the fans of these great Broadway shows. below is a link to our site , just do a search on the front page of our website to locate these 3 different version Spring Awakening posters , or feel free to browse in the Broadway section of our site to see these and many other original Broadway posters we currently have in stock. please email if you have any specific requests or questions. please know that we use the best shipping tubes available for sending these original posters out to you , and we always include a free extra surprise poster as well. thanks all !
>http://daring-niche.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=spring&cid=0
> http://daring-niche.ecrater.com/
Post a Comment