Wednesday, July 25, 2007

In The Heights commercial pics


Cute! Stage Notes has some fun photos of a shoot for the In The Heights commericals. Looks like we won't be seeing any re-casting of the leads, in case anyone was wondering. It's obvious that Lin-Manuel Miranda isn't going anywhere, but I kinda wondered if they would replace Mandy Gonzalez, who seems a little too long in the tooth to play a youthful college student. Don't get me wrong, I like Mandy and think she has the voice of an angel, but the show would be a lot more compelling with an actor in that role who was closer to that confusing age where all of a sudden your ideals aren't what they once were, and there are all these big problems that are no longer black and white. Mandy just seems to have her head too squarely on her shoulders to make us really root for her in that role. I always thought someone more like Krysta Rodriguez would be interesting.



UPDATE: According to a press release, "Full casting for the musical, which will be reworked a bit for the Broadway opening, will be announced shortly." So I guess they are re-casting SOMEONE, but who? Most of the leads can be seen shooting the commercial, so it's unlikely that they'll get the boot, and the ensemble was great off-broadway. Any guesses as to what's happening?
Photos by Bruce Glikas for Broadway.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you do a little blog message about Krysta Rodriguiz? I've heard about her and know she is doing Chorus Line but what is she like as an actress and why is she forever a swing?

Anonymous said...

I'm so curious about the Broadway casting... I also wish that they would announce the Broadway cast
for "In the Heights"!! I saw it back in early May... I LOVED the show!! In fact, the role of "Abuela Claudia" originally played by Olga Merediz, was played by Michelle Rios (who apparently was an understudy in the show)... I've been familiar with Ms. Rios' work... I've seen her in several productions around town, and I
thought that she was just awesome in the role!... such a great actress with heart!
I was so moved by her performance...
I was moved by the whole cast!!
I mean, the whole cast was amazing, so I can't imagine any major casting changes happening... Unless there are some Hollywood folks sniffing around for a Broadway debut, like say,
Jennifer Lopez??!! Good God!!
I hope not!! I really hope the producers don't decide to go that route, and remain loyal to keeping a strong cast and production...

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.